Synonyms and Antonyms of rough
- a face rough with a couple days' worth of beard
- rough waters that made sailing our sloop a little risky
- At least wear a raincoat if you're going out into that rough weather.
- A rough board can give you splinters.
- a forensics expert who willingly takes on rough assignments
abstract, abstruse, complex, complicated, elusive, hairy, insoluble, intricate, involved, knotty, opaque, problematic (also problematical), recondite, serious, spiny, stubborn, thorny, ticklish, tricky
- I've had a rough time of it since I lost my job.
- the rough faces of hardened criminals who had spent most of their lives behind bars
fixed, hard, hardened, hardheaded, immovable, implacable, inflexible, ironhanded, mulish, obdurate, obstinate, rigid, self-willed, set, stiff, stubborn, unbending, uncompromising, unrelenting, unyielding, willful (or wilful)
- They made a rough camp as darkness fell over the forest.
- He learned polite words to replace the rough language he used in his youth.
- a rough flight that left some passengers nauseated
- After a rough week on the high seas, we were happy to sail through the gulf's more tranquil waters.
Synonym Discussion of rough
- a rough wooden board
- a harsh fabric that chafes the skin
- an old house with uneven floors
- a rugged landscape
- a scabrous leaf
synonyms see in addition rude
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up rough? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).