Synonyms and Antonyms of nasty
- Fortunately, the story's nasty characters are balanced by some truly good people.
- a nasty video game that was so violent that I could hardly watch the opening scenes
abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, disgusting, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, offensive, rancid, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, shocking, sickening, ugly
acceptable, agreeable, alluring, appealing, attractive, blessed (also blest), desirable, enjoyable, felicitous, gratifying, heavenly, inviting, likable (or likeable), luscious, nice, palatable, pleasant, pleasing, pleasurable, satisfying, savory (also savoury), sweet, welcome
- a nasty cut on my lip
- a movie with nasty dialogue
- posted nasty comments on the website
- Bring your raincoat, as the weather's supposed to be nasty.
- It's incredibly nasty inside that garbage bin, so stay away from there.
- The smell of those old leftovers is downright nasty.
abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, beastly, bilious, disgusting, dreadful, foul, ghastly, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, invidious, loathsome, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, obnoxious, obscene, odious, offensive, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, seamy, shocking, sick, sickening, ugly, vile, villainous
- She had the nasty sense that she'd made a mistake somewhere.
alarming, dire, direful, dread, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, forbidding, formidable, frightening, frightful, ghastly, hair-raising, horrendous, horrible, horrifying, intimidating, scary, shocking, terrible, terrifying
- A nasty hit got the hockey player suspended.
below the belt
- That was a nasty trick to play on people who were so trusting.
- Given the high-ranking people involved, it will be a nasty job to hammer out a compromise.
Synonym Discussion of nasty
- a dirty littered street
- a stained greasy floor, utterly filthy
- a foul-smelling open sewer
- it's a nasty job to clean up after a sick cat
- had a nasty fall
- his answer gave her a nasty shock
- squalid slums
- don't ask me to do your dirty work
- filthy street language
- a foul story of lust and greed
- a stand-up comedian known for nasty humor
- engaged in a series of squalid affairs
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up nasty? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).