Synonyms and Antonyms of proper
- The formal ball called for proper attire—tuxedos and full-length gowns only.
- There is really more than one proper way to pronounce that word in English.
on target, on the money
- We had nodded and said hello to one another but had never had a proper introduction.
- You'll need to have a proper diet if you want to lose weight.
- malaria and other diseases that are proper to the tropics
Synonym Discussion of proper
- fit for battle
- clothes suitable for camping
- meet payment
- proper acknowledgement
- an appropriate gift
- a fitting end
- apt quotations
- a happy choice of words
- a felicitous phrase
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up proper? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).