Synonyms and Antonyms of rigorous
- a rigorous football coach who pushes his players to their physical and mental limits
adamant, callous, hardened, hard-hearted, hard-line, immovable, implacable, inflexible, merciless, pitiless, relentless, rock-ribbed, stiff, unbending, uncompromising, unrelenting, unsparing, unyielding
- a rigorous analysis of the data
- a rigorous diet and exercise regimen
- She studied for umpteen months for the rigorous exam.
abstract, abstruse, complex, complicated, elusive, hairy, insoluble, intricate, involved, knotty, opaque, problematic (also problematical), recondite, serious, spiny, stubborn, thorny, ticklish, tricky
Synonym Discussion of rigorous
- rigid rules of conduct
- the rigorous training of recruits
- strict enforcement of the law
- stringent standards of admission
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up rigorous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).