Synonyms and Antonyms of austere
- an austere conductor who is as tough on himself as he is on the orchestra
adamant, callous, hardened, hard-hearted, hard-line, immovable, implacable, inflexible, merciless, pitiless, relentless, rock-ribbed, stiff, unbending, uncompromising, unrelenting, unsparing, unyielding
- an austere fortress at the top of some formidable cliffs
fixed, hard, hardened, hardheaded, immovable, implacable, inflexible, ironhanded, mulish, obdurate, obstinate, rigid, self-willed, set, stiff, stubborn, unbending, uncompromising, unrelenting, unyielding, willful (or wilful)
- For the private office of the CEO of the large corporation, the room is unexpectedly austere.
Synonym Discussion of austere
- severe military discipline
- stern arbiters of public morality
- living an austere life in the country
- the ascetic life of the monks
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up austere? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).