Synonyms and Antonyms of sullen
- sullen skies that matched our mood
black, bleak, cheerless, chill, cloudy, cold, comfortless, dark, darkening, depressing, depressive, desolate, dire, disconsolate, dismal, drear, dreary, elegiac (also elegiacal), forlorn, funereal, gloomy, glum, godforsaken, gray (also grey), lonely, lonesome, lugubrious, miserable, morbid, morose, murky, saturnine, sepulchral, solemn, somber (or sombre), sunless, wretched
- He sat in sullen silence.
choleric, crabby, cranky, cross, crotchety, grouchy, grumpy, irascible, irritable, peevish, perverse, pettish, petulant, prickly, quick-tempered, short-tempered, snappish, snappy, snippety, snippy, testy, waspish
Synonym Discussion of sullen
- remained sullen amid the festivities
- a glum candidate left to ponder a stunning defeat
- morose job seekers who are inured to rejection
- a typical surly teenager
- grew sulky after every spat
- the school's notoriously crabbed headmaster
- a saturnine cynic always finding fault
- a gloomy mood ushered in by bad news
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up sullen? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).