Synonyms and Antonyms of dismal
- a suitably dismal setting for a haunted house
black, bleak, cheerless, chill, cloudy, cold, comfortless, dark, darkening, depressing, depressive, desolate, dire, disconsolate, drear, dreary, elegiac (also elegiacal), forlorn, funereal, gloomy, glum, godforsaken, gray (also grey), lonely, lonesome, lugubrious, miserable, morbid, morose, murky, saturnine, sepulchral, solemn, somber (or sombre), sullen, sunless, wretched
- the dismal failure of our hopes for the championship
- The quarterback's dismal performance suggested that he had not fully recovered from his recent injury.
Synonym Discussion of dismal
- dismal weather
- a dreary job
- the bleak years of the depression
- gloomy war news
- a drab and cheerless office
- a desolate outpost
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up dismal? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).