Synonyms and Antonyms of gay
- couples dancing a gay, fast-paced jig
on the go
- gay carefree children at the playground
- We had a gay old time at the party.
blessed (also blest), blissful, delighted, ecstatic, elated, enraptured, entranced, euphoric, exhilarated, exuberant, exultant, gladsome, happy, high, joyful, joyous, jubilant, overjoyed, radiant, rapturous, ravished, thrilled, tickled
abject, aggrieved, anguished, blue, brokenhearted, crestfallen, dejected, depressed, despondent, disconsolate, disheartened, dispirited, downcast, downhearted, forlorn, glum, heartbroken, heartsick, heavyhearted, low-spirited, melancholy, sad, saddened, sorrowful, unhappy
- With a gay toss of his coat over his shoulder, the dapper old gentleman set off for the party.
blue, brokenhearted, crestfallen, dejected, depressed, despondent, disconsolate, disheartened, down, downcast, downhearted, droopy, forlorn, hangdog, heavyhearted, inconsolable, low, low-spirited, melancholy, mirthless, sorrowful
- The skylark's gay song lifted me out of my gloom.
Synonym Discussion of gay
- a lively debate on the issues
- an animated discussion of current events
- a vivacious party host
- a tuneful, sprightly musical
- the gay spirit of Paris in the 1920s
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up gay? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).