Synonyms and Antonyms of surly
- Keith went about his chores in a surly huff, totally annoyed that he was stuck at home on this beautiful Saturday.
choleric, crabby, cranky, cross, crotchety, grouchy, grumpy, irascible, irritable, peevish, perverse, pettish, petulant, prickly, quick-tempered, short-tempered, snappish, snappy, snippety, snippy, testy, waspish
- The surly receptionist told us we'd have to wait outside in the rain.
Synonym Discussion of surly
- remained sullen amid the festivities
- a glum candidate left to ponder a stunning defeat
- morose job seekers who are inured to rejection
- a typical surly teenager
- grew sulky after every spat
- the school's notoriously crabbed headmaster
- a saturnine cynic always finding fault
- a gloomy mood ushered in by bad news
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up surly? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).