Synonyms and Antonyms of silly
- The matinee show was filled with a bunch of silly children making noise.
- those silly movie producers who thought that audiences would fall for that gimmick all over again
absurd, asinine, balmy, brainless, cockeyed, crackpot, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, dippy, dotty, fatuous, featherheaded, fool, foolish, half-baked, half-witted, harebrained, inept, insane, jerky, kooky (also kookie), loony (also looney), lunatic, lunkheaded, mad, nonsensical, nutty, preposterous, sappy, screwball, senseless, simpleminded, stupid, tomfool, unwise, wacky (also whacky), weak-minded, witless, zany
airheaded, birdbrained, brain-dead, chowderheaded, chuckleheaded, clueless, dense, dim, dim-witted, doltish, dopey (also dopy), dorky [slang], dull, dumb, dunderheaded, empty-headed, fatuous, feebleminded, idiotic (also idiotical), imbecile (or imbecilic), knuckleheaded, lamebrain (or lamebrained), mindless, moronic, oafish, obtuse, opaque, pinheaded, simple, slow, slow-witted, soft, softheaded, thoughtless, thick, thickheaded, unintelligent, vacuous, witless
out to lunch
- Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.
asinine, brainless, dumb, fatuous, foolish, half-baked, half-witted, harebrained, idiotic (also idiotical), imbecile (or imbecilic), inane, jerky, moronic, nonsensical, simpleminded, stupid, unwise, weak-minded, witless
for the birds
- stunning news that knocked me silly
at sea, out of it
Synonym Discussion of silly
- considered people simple who had trouble with computers
- foolish stunts
- the silly antics of revelers
- fatuous conspiracy theories
- an asinine plot
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up silly? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).