Synonyms and Antonyms of solemn
- The director of the funeral home has a fittingly solemn demeanor.
- solemn as a judge
- The Capitol's rotunda was draped in solemn decorations of a state funeral.
black, bleak, cheerless, chill, cloudy, cold, comfortless, dark, darkening, depressing, depressive, desolate, dire, disconsolate, dismal, drear, dreary, elegiac (also elegiacal), forlorn, funereal, gloomy, glum, godforsaken, gray (also grey), lonely, lonesome, lugubrious, miserable, morbid, morose, murky, saturnine, sepulchral, somber (or sombre), sullen, sunless, wretched
Synonym Discussion of solemn
- a serious play about social injustice
- read the proclamation in a grave voice
- a sad and solemn occasion
- remained sedate amid the commotion
- a quiet and staid community
- a sober look at the state of our schools
- an earnest reformer
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up solemn? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).