Synonyms and Antonyms of lordly
- One dinner guest was a little lordly, requesting that the food be prepared in just a certain way.
arrogant, bumptious, cavalier, chesty, haughty, high-and-mighty, high-handed, high-hat, highfalutin (also hifalutin), huffish, huffy, imperious, important, lofty, masterful, overweening, peremptory, pompous, presuming, presumptuous, pretentious, self-asserting, self-assertive, sniffy, supercilious, superior, uppish, uppity
complacent, conceited, egocentric, egoistic (also egoistical), egotistic (or egotistical), narcissistic, prideful, proud, self-affected, self-applauding, self-centered, self-complacent, self-conceited, self-pleased, self-satisfied, smug, stuck-up
- his lordly attitude toward people who enjoy popular music
- Born to great wealth, he has always displayed a lordly generosity toward the less fortunate.
Synonym Discussion of lordly
- too proud to take charity
- a conceited and arrogant executive
- a haughty aristocrat
- a lordly condescension
- ignored by an insolent waiter
- an overbearing supervisor
- an aloof and supercilious manner
- disdainful of their social inferiors
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up lordly? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).