Synonyms and Antonyms of pretentious
- That pretentious couple always serves caviar at their parties, even though they themselves dislike it.
arrogant, bumptious, complacent, conceited, egoistic (also egoistical), egotistic (or egotistical), high-and-mighty, high-handed, high-hat, hoity-toity, imperious, important, overweening, presumptuous, prideful, proud, self-centered, self-complacent, self-conceited, self-important, self-obsessed, self-pleased, self-satisfied, smug, uppity, vain, vainglorious
- a pretentious author whose books only appeal to equally pretentious readers
arrogant, bumptious, cavalier, chesty, haughty, high-and-mighty, high-handed, high-hat, highfalutin (also hifalutin), huffish, huffy, imperious, important, lofty, lordly, masterful, overweening, peremptory, pompous, presuming, presumptuous, self-asserting, self-assertive, sniffy, supercilious, superior, uppish, uppity
complacent, conceited, egocentric, egoistic (also egoistical), egotistic (or egotistical), narcissistic, prideful, proud, self-affected, self-applauding, self-centered, self-complacent, self-conceited, self-pleased, self-satisfied, smug, stuck-up
Synonym Discussion of pretentious
- the performers' showy costumes
- a pretentious parade of hard words
- the ostentatious summer homes of the rich
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up pretentious? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).