Synonyms and Antonyms of proud
- She was too proud to accept help from her family.
- a proud and opinionated person
arrogant, bumptious, cavalier, chesty, disdainful, haughty, high-and-mighty, high-hat, huffy, lofty, lordly, masterful, pontifical, self-asserting, self-assertive, snobbish, snobby, snooty, supercilious, superior, toplofty (also toploftical), uppish, uppity
- The old neighborhood was known for its stately trees and proud Victorian houses.
- In his acceptance letter he assured his soon-to-be boss that he was proud to be joining such a fine company.
Synonym Discussion of proud
- too proud to take charity
- a conceited and arrogant executive
- a haughty aristocrat
- a lordly condescension
- ignored by an insolent waiter
- an overbearing supervisor
- an aloof and supercilious manner
- disdainful of their social inferiors
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up proud? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).