Synonyms and Antonyms of inane
- inane and useless phrases, such as "have a nice day"
absurd, asinine, balmy, brainless, crackpot, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, dotty, empty-headed, fatuous, foolish, half-witted, harebrained, insane, jerky, kooky (also kookie), loony (also looney), lunatic, mad, mindless, nonsensical, nutty, preposterous, sappy, silly, simpleminded, stupid, tomfool, unintelligent, unwise, wacky (also whacky), weak-minded, witless, zany
Synonym Discussion of inane
- an insipid romance with platitudes on every page
- an exciting story given a vapid treatment
- although well-regarded in its day, the novel now seems flat
- a jejune and gassy speech
- a banal tale of unrequited love
- an inane interpretation of the play
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up inane? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).