Examples of ridiculous in a Sentence
- His band mates take the stage in ridiculous elf costumes—black tights, pointy felt hats. —Jason Cohen, Rolling Stone, 23 Feb. 1995
- I also poked fun at those ridiculous fins on the '59 Cadillac. The '60, now, that was something else, and I've thought highly enough of the design to have owned two of them. —Marshall Schuon, New York Times, 30 June 1991
- Take into account the artist's intention and choice of means. This sounds so elementary that it seems ridiculous to bring it up … —Leonardo Shapiro, Village Voice, 27 Aug. 1991
- It was absurd for him to paint portraits for pay, and ridiculous to paint them for nothing; so he did not paint them at all. —William Dean Howells, The Rise of Silas Lapham, 1885
She looks ridiculous in that outfit.
It was a ridiculous suggestion.
That's an absolutely ridiculous price for that sweater.
Recent Examples of ridiculous from the Web
Muskego picked up touchdown runs in the third quarter from Austin Katelbrun, and AJ Makinen found RJ Bosshart on 4th and `17 for a ridiculous touchdown catch that tied the score with 2:25 remaining.
Use the side of your palette to get your contour super straight Instead of using shoes and knives and every other ridiculous thing, just use your contouring palette as a straight-edge.
But as the saying goes, never come before the master, and right now, Daveed is ridiculous at writing music.
Talk of this being a return to the Civil War is simply ridiculous.
The ridiculous things people — women, mostly — spend money on in the name of some arbitrary beauty standard is sad.
But former Mariner Austin Jackson made a ridiculous leaping catch over his shoulder in left field to rob Yonder Alonso of a sure double.
These news stories were often completely ridiculous but sometimes convincing tales about political figures published on sites that looked eerily close to the real thing and subsequently spread on social media.
Many of the patents Monmonier discovered were impractical and some were downright ridiculous.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ridiculous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of ridiculous
First Known Use: 1550See Words from the same year
Synonymsabsurd, cockamamy (or cockamamie), comical, derisive, derisory, farcical, laughable, ludicrous, pathetic, preposterous, risible, silly, for the birds
Antonymshumorless, lame, unamusing, uncomic, unfunny, unhumorous, unhysterical
Related Wordsasinine, brainless, dumb, fatuous, foolish, half-baked, half-witted, harebrained, idiotic (also idiotical), imbecile (or imbecilic), inane, jerky, moronic, nonsensical, simpleminded, stupid, unwise, weak-minded, witless; balmy, cockeyed, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, dotty, insane, kooky (also kookie), loony (also looney), lunatic, mad, nutty, screwball, senseless, wacky (also whacky); fantastic (also fantastical), far-fetched, inconceivable, incredible, unbelievable, unreal, unrealistic, unreasonable; illogical, irrational
Near Antonymsearnest, serious, solemn; believable, conceivable, credible, logical, rational, realistic, reasonable, sensible
Synonym Discussion of ridiculous
- laughable attempts at skating
- a thriller with a ludicrous plot
- a ridiculous display of anger
- a comic character
- a comical hat
RIDICULOUS Defined for English Language Learners
RIDICULOUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ridiculous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).