Examples of ridiculous in a Sentence
- His band mates take the stage in ridiculous elf costumes—black tights, pointy felt hats. —Jason Cohen, Rolling Stone, 23 Feb. 1995
- I also poked fun at those ridiculous fins on the '59 Cadillac. The '60, now, that was something else, and I've thought highly enough of the design to have owned two of them. —Marshall Schuon, New York Times, 30 June 1991
- Take into account the artist's intention and choice of means. This sounds so elementary that it seems ridiculous to bring it up … —Leonardo Shapiro, Village Voice, 27 Aug. 1991
- It was absurd for him to paint portraits for pay, and ridiculous to paint them for nothing; so he did not paint them at all. —William Dean Howells, The Rise of Silas Lapham, 1885
She looks ridiculous in that outfit.
It was a ridiculous suggestion.
That's an absolutely ridiculous price for that sweater.
Recent Examples of ridiculous from the Web
For Zarif to claim that his country is a broker of peace and stability in the region is ridiculous.... Before blaming foreign powers ...
At the same time the NFL commissioner has let millionaire athletes make the league look ridiculous and the national anthem divisive, the GOP is letting an unelected special prosecutor make an end run around its congressional powers and prerogatives.
The most ridiculous and revealing member of the group, though, is Alabama Sen. Luther Strange.
Some of the critique was indeed ridiculous, and I was associated with that postmodern relativist stuff, I was put into that crowd by others.
His per-minute numbers are ridiculous to begin his career as the rookie is putting up 20.9 points, 10.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.2 steals and 2.3 blocks per 36 minutes, according to Basketball-Reference.
By timing those pulses, astronomers can determine a pulsar’s spin rate to a ridiculous degree of accuracy, and no two are alike.
Fan theories like this are ridiculous in by nature, but that's what makes them so fun.
Power will sit on the pole for the sixth time this season and the 50th time in his career, a ridiculous 27% of his IndyCar starts.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ridiculous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of ridiculous
First Known Use: 1550See Words from the same year
Synonymsabsurd, cockamamy (or cockamamie), comical, derisive, derisory, farcical, laughable, ludicrous, pathetic, preposterous, risible, silly, for the birds
Antonymshumorless, lame, unamusing, uncomic, unfunny, unhumorous, unhysterical
Related Wordsasinine, brainless, dumb, fatuous, foolish, half-baked, half-witted, harebrained, idiotic (also idiotical), imbecile (or imbecilic), inane, jerky, moronic, nonsensical, simpleminded, stupid, unwise, weak-minded, witless; balmy, cockeyed, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, dotty, insane, kooky (also kookie), loony (also looney), lunatic, mad, nutty, screwball, senseless, wacky (also whacky); fantastic (also fantastical), far-fetched, inconceivable, incredible, unbelievable, unreal, unrealistic, unreasonable; illogical, irrational
Near Antonymsearnest, serious, solemn; believable, conceivable, credible, logical, rational, realistic, reasonable, sensible
Synonym Discussion of ridiculous
- laughable attempts at skating
- a thriller with a ludicrous plot
- a ridiculous display of anger
- a comic character
- a comical hat
RIDICULOUS Defined for English Language Learners
RIDICULOUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ridiculous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).