Examples of ridiculous in a Sentence
- His band mates take the stage in ridiculous elf costumes—black tights, pointy felt hats. —Jason Cohen, Rolling Stone, 23 Feb. 1995
- I also poked fun at those ridiculous fins on the '59 Cadillac. The '60, now, that was something else, and I've thought highly enough of the design to have owned two of them. —Marshall Schuon, New York Times, 30 June 1991
- Take into account the artist's intention and choice of means. This sounds so elementary that it seems ridiculous to bring it up … —Leonardo Shapiro, Village Voice, 27 Aug. 1991
- It was absurd for him to paint portraits for pay, and ridiculous to paint them for nothing; so he did not paint them at all. —William Dean Howells, The Rise of Silas Lapham, 1885
She looks ridiculous in that outfit.
It was a ridiculous suggestion.
That's an absolutely ridiculous price for that sweater.
Recent Examples of ridiculous from the Web
If this downtrodden franchise’s fortunes are to change, Haslam can’t take the ridiculous half-measure of hiring a new GM but forcing that GM to keep the old coach.
Brees hasn't produced at his typical ridiculous volume this year, largely because the Saints have operated with a more balanced offense featuring the impressive running back tandem of Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara.
New Year's Eve parties of all shapes and sizes are happening everywhere in Louisville, from the sublime to the slightly ridiculous, and here are 10 that deserve attention.
Here are the movie's 46 most ridiculous moments, because yes, there are 46 of them, in all their glory: 1.
But his body was never found, leading to a range of ever-more ridiculous conspiracy theories, including one book which claimed he had been taken by a Chinese submarine.
In the last few days, one woman attempted to extort me for $500,000 only to recant her ridiculous claim.
This Father’s Day give your dad a taste of his own sense of humor with a handful of corny Father’s Day jokes, Father’s Day one-liners, and ridiculous Father’s Day humor.
Lock piled up ridiculous numbers in his junior season, setting the SEC single-season record with 43 touchdown passes as the Tigers woke up from their start on the strength of one of the nation’s most explosive offenses.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ridiculous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of ridiculous
First Known Use: 1550See Words from the same year
antic, chucklesome, comedic, comic, comical, droll, farcical, funny, hilarious, humorous, hysterical (also hysteric), killing, laughable, ludicrous, riotous, risible, screaming, sidesplitting, uproarious;
Synonym Discussion of ridiculous
- laughable attempts at skating
- a thriller with a ludicrous plot
- a ridiculous display of anger
- a comic character
- a comical hat
RIDICULOUS Defined for English Language Learners
RIDICULOUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ridiculous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).