Examples of ridiculous in a Sentence
- His band mates take the stage in ridiculous elf costumes—black tights, pointy felt hats. —Jason Cohen, Rolling Stone, 23 Feb. 1995
- I also poked fun at those ridiculous fins on the '59 Cadillac. The '60, now, that was something else, and I've thought highly enough of the design to have owned two of them. —Marshall Schuon, New York Times, 30 June 1991
- Take into account the artist's intention and choice of means. This sounds so elementary that it seems ridiculous to bring it up … —Leonardo Shapiro, Village Voice, 27 Aug. 1991
- It was absurd for him to paint portraits for pay, and ridiculous to paint them for nothing; so he did not paint them at all. —William Dean Howells, The Rise of Silas Lapham, 1885
She looks ridiculous in that outfit.
It was a ridiculous suggestion.
That's an absolutely ridiculous price for that sweater.
Recent Examples of ridiculous from the Web
Power will sit on the pole for the sixth time this season and the 50th time in his career, a ridiculous 27% of his IndyCar starts.
Fan theories like this are ridiculous in by nature, but that's what makes them so fun.
By timing those pulses, astronomers can determine a pulsar’s spin rate to a ridiculous degree of accuracy, and no two are alike.
And on top of that, the company is quite literally comparing the human body — more specifically, a woman's body — to food, which is simply ridiculous.
The new adaptation of Stephen King’s novel is a cinematic landfill of ridiculous fantasy gimmicks.
There’s the obligatory ridiculous white girl (played by Kate Walsh).
The vegan Reuben sandwich from the Laughing Seed—ridiculous.
SPARTA, Ky. – Martin Truex Jr. was making the Quaker State 400 field look ridiculous here Saturday night.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ridiculous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of ridiculous
First Known Use: 1550See Words from the same year
Synonymsabsurd, cockamamy (or cockamamie), comical, derisive, derisory, farcical, laughable, ludicrous, pathetic, preposterous, risible, silly, for the birds
Antonymshumorless, lame, unamusing, uncomic, unfunny, unhumorous, unhysterical
Related Wordsasinine, brainless, dumb, fatuous, foolish, half-baked, half-witted, harebrained, idiotic (also idiotical), imbecile (or imbecilic), inane, jerky, moronic, nonsensical, simpleminded, stupid, unwise, weak-minded, witless; balmy, cockeyed, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, dotty, insane, kooky (also kookie), loony (also looney), lunatic, mad, nutty, screwball, senseless, wacky (also whacky); fantastic (also fantastical), far-fetched, inconceivable, incredible, unbelievable, unreal, unrealistic, unreasonable; illogical, irrational
Near Antonymsearnest, serious, solemn; believable, conceivable, credible, logical, rational, realistic, reasonable, sensible
Synonym Discussion of ridiculous
- laughable attempts at skating
- a thriller with a ludicrous plot
- a ridiculous display of anger
- a comic character
- a comical hat
RIDICULOUS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of ridiculous for English Language Learners
: extremely silly or unreasonable
RIDICULOUS Defined for Kids
Definition of ridiculous for Students
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ridiculous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).