Definition of the sublime
: something that is very beautiful or good : something that is extraordinary They have brought ordinary food to the level of the sublime. The movies shown at the festival ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game