Examples of ludicrous in a Sentence
- Some of this censorship is trivial, some is ludicrous, and some is breathtaking in its power to dumb down what children learn in school. —Diane Ravitch, The Language Police, 2003
- The serious and the absurd have to be learnt together; but ludicrous theatrical buffoonery is fit only for foreigners. —Iris Murdoch, The Fire & the Sun, 1977
- The girl didn't comment on the steepness, or the brambles, or the fact that it seemed ludicrous to cart furniture through an apparently endless forest. —Anne Tyler, The Clock Winder, 1972
- Her teachers complained that instead of doing her sums she covered her slate with animals, the blank pages of her atlas were used to copy maps on, and caricatures of the most ludicrous description came fluttering out of all her books at unlucky moments. —Louisa May Alcott, Little Women, 1868-69
the ludicrous sight of their teacher in a Halloween costume
a ludicrous and easily detected attempt to forge his father's signature on a note to school
Recent Examples of ludicrous from the Web
A few days later, the notion struck me as ludicrous.
Since the late 80s, the man who releases prank calls as Longmont Potion Castle has created a DIY surrealist universe, complete with a ludicrous nomenclature all its own, disorienting sound collages, and bizarro instrumental interludes.
But the idea that numbers alone will drive good or popular art is ludicrous; Netflix has made plenty of shows that haven’t hit the mark with audiences, like any other network.
And a hero who knows his situation is over-the-top ludicrous, but designed to be won.
And for the president to place all his eggs and the dictator basket seems ludicrous at best.
López said the idea that her daughter had anything to do with organized crime was ludicrous.
This can range from pretty easy to completely ludicrous, depending on what specifically incites your eczema.
No one with any shred of humanity would carry out such a ludicrous plan; Brolin, perhaps realizing this, plays Graver with all the gravitas of a malfunctioning robot.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ludicrous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
antic, chucklesome, comedic, comic, comical, droll, farcical, funny, hilarious, humorous, hysterical (also hysteric), killing, laughable, ridiculous, riotous, risible, screaming, sidesplitting, uproarious;
Synonym Discussion of ludicrous
- laughable attempts at skating
- a thriller with a ludicrous plot
- a ridiculous display of anger
- a comic character
- a comical hat
LUDICROUS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of ludicrous for English Language Learners
: very foolish
LUDICROUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ludicrous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).