Examples of ludicrous in a Sentence
- Some of this censorship is trivial, some is ludicrous, and some is breathtaking in its power to dumb down what children learn in school. —Diane Ravitch, The Language Police, 2003
- The serious and the absurd have to be learnt together; but ludicrous theatrical buffoonery is fit only for foreigners. —Iris Murdoch, The Fire & the Sun, 1977
- The girl didn't comment on the steepness, or the brambles, or the fact that it seemed ludicrous to cart furniture through an apparently endless forest. —Anne Tyler, The Clock Winder, 1972
- Her teachers complained that instead of doing her sums she covered her slate with animals, the blank pages of her atlas were used to copy maps on, and caricatures of the most ludicrous description came fluttering out of all her books at unlucky moments. —Louisa May Alcott, Little Women, 1868-69
the ludicrous sight of their teacher in a Halloween costume
a ludicrous and easily detected attempt to forge his father's signature on a note to school
Recent Examples of ludicrous from the Web
But the idea that jetpacks have commercial applications or that personal flying devices will solve our transportation and infrastructure challenges is completely ludicrous.
The ensemble is solid—everyone has been cast to type, and nobody is being asked to stretch themselves—though they’re given no chance to rise above the inherently ludicrous material.
Painting has been pronounced dead enough times to render the claim meaningless, if not ludicrous.
But if any of that seems preposterously white people-ish, the story gets even more ludicrous.
The idea that Detroit could host the country's largest sporting event seemed ludicrous.
With as many total bases as at-bats, her OPS is a ludicrous 1.608.
As an exercise in tracks-covering, U of L’s efforts at revisionist history fall somewhere between laughable and ludicrous.
But continuing to refuse them the opportunity to earn money off their own name, one of the most valuable things all of us have in our lives, is unethical, ludicrous and beyond explanation.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'ludicrous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
antic, chucklesome, comedic, comic, comical, droll, farcical, funny, hilarious, humorous, hysterical (also hysteric), killing, laughable, ridiculous, riotous, risible, screaming, sidesplitting, uproarious;
Synonym Discussion of ludicrous
- laughable attempts at skating
- a thriller with a ludicrous plot
- a ridiculous display of anger
- a comic character
- a comical hat
LUDICROUS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of ludicrous for English Language Learners
: very foolish
LUDICROUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up ludicrous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).