Synonyms and Antonyms of hard
- a hard man, who never had a kind word for anyone
callous, case-hardened, cold-blooded, compassionless, desensitized, hard-boiled, hard-hearted, heartless, indurate, inhuman, inhumane, insensate, insensitive, ironhearted, merciless, obdurate, pitiless, remorseless, ruthless, soulless, stony (also stoney), take-no-prisoners, thick-skinned, uncharitable, unfeeling, unmerciful, unsparing, unsympathetic
- Clearing land is hard work.
- a hard exam to pass
abstract, abstruse, complex, complicated, elusive, hairy, insoluble, intricate, involved, knotty, opaque, problematic (also problematical), recondite, serious, spiny, stubborn, thorny, ticklish, tricky
- They were forced to import sheep of a harder stock, one that could thrive in the harsh climate.
- Do you have any hard evidence that this was once the site of a Native American village?
- the hard life of a migrant farm worker
- a carpet that withstood years of hard wear
- a hard disciplinarian who is quick to punish the tiniest violation of the rules
adamant, callous, hardened, hard-hearted, hard-line, immovable, implacable, inflexible, merciless, pitiless, relentless, rock-ribbed, stiff, unbending, uncompromising, unrelenting, unsparing, unyielding
- hard candies
- fell on the hard floor and bruised her arm
- There isn't always a hard line between right and wrong.
- Joe maintained hard feelings toward those who had cheated him.
- a woman with a hard will who never budged from her chosen path
adamant, bullheaded, dogged, hard-nosed, hardened, hardheaded, headstrong, immovable, implacable, inconvincible, inflexible, intransigent, mulish, obdurate, obstinate, opinionated, ossified, pat, pertinacious, perverse, pigheaded, self-opinionated, self-willed, stubborn, unbending, uncompromising, unrelenting, unyielding, willful (or wilful)
deaf to reason
- That newscast is strictly devoted to hard news, as the producers prefer to leave the gossip to others.
Synonym Discussion of hard
- farming is hard work
- the difficult ascent of the mountain
- the arduous task of rebuilding
Synonyms and Antonyms of hard
- We took a much-needed break after working hard all week.
- a hard-won victory
- The boys took the news of their friend's moving away hard.
- The batter hit the ball hard, causing it to soar out of bounds.
- The wind blew hard all day.
like gangbusters, to beat the band, with a vengeance, with might and main
- The groom stood hard by, ready to help, as the lady mounted the skittish horse.
at close quarters, at hand, on one's doorstep, within call
- The old bicycle has obviously gotten some hard use.
callously, cold-bloodedly, hard-heartedly, heartlessly, inhumanely, inhumanly, insensitively, mercilessly, obdurately, pitilessly, ruthlessly, tyrannically, uncharitably, unfeelingly, unmercifully, unsparingly
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up hard? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).