Synonyms and Antonyms of rugged
- a rugged construction that survived for hundreds of years
- the incredibly rugged conditions that the polar explorers faced
- The warrior's rugged features frightened the child.
fixed, hard, hardened, hardheaded, immovable, implacable, inflexible, ironhanded, mulish, obdurate, obstinate, rigid, self-willed, set, stiff, stubborn, unbending, uncompromising, unrelenting, unyielding, willful (or wilful)
- a rugged athlete who's competing in weight lifting in the Olympics
- rugged terrain that made for slow going
- Even more rugged than most ultramarathons, this one crosses a desert.
abstract, abstruse, complex, complicated, elusive, hairy, insoluble, intricate, involved, knotty, opaque, problematic (also problematical), recondite, serious, spiny, stubborn, thorny, ticklish, tricky
- New Hampshire's Mount Washington has some of the ruggedest weather in all of North America.
- enjoyed a kind of rugged humor
Synonym Discussion of rugged
- a rough wooden board
- a harsh fabric that chafes the skin
- an old house with uneven floors
- a rugged landscape
- a scabrous leaf
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up rugged? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).