Synonyms and Antonyms of stormy
marked by bursts of destructive force or intense activity
- a small nation, but one with a long and stormy history
bang-bang, blood-and-guts, convulsive, cyclonic, explosive, ferocious, fierce, furious, hammer-and-tongs, hot, knock-down, drag-out (or knock-down-and-drag-out), paroxysmal, rabid, rough, tempestuous, tumultuous, turbulent, violent, volcanic
barbarous, brutal, savage, vicious
aggressive, assertive, bellicose, belligerent, combative, contentious, gladiatorial, pugnacious, quarrelsome, truculent
agitated, frantic, frenzied, mad
cataclysmal (or cataclysmic), destructive, ruinous
marked by or abounding with rain
- Stormy weather was forecast for the next three days, so we cancelled our camping trip.
marked by sudden or violent disturbance
- They have a stormy relationship.
marked by turmoil or disturbance especially of natural elements
- Neptune has the stormiest atmosphere of any planet, with winds of up to 900 miles per hour.
blustering, blustery, raging, violent
brutal, harsh, severe
roily, unquiet, unsettled
bleak, inclement, nasty, raw, squally
calm, halcyon, peaceful, placid, quiet, serene, tranquil
bright, clear, clement, cloudless, fair, sunny, sunshiny, unclouded
marked by wet and windy conditions
- Stormy seas forced the schooner far off its intended course.
blowy, blustering, blustery, breezy, gusty, windblown, windswept
cloudy, overcast, sunless
foggy, hazy, misty, murky, soupy