Synonyms and Antonyms of intractable
- an intractable child who deliberately does the opposite of whatever he is told
adamant, adamantine, dogged, hardheaded, headstrong, immovable, implacable, inflexible, mulish, obdurate, obstinate, opinionated, peevish, pertinacious, pigheaded, rigid, self-willed, stubborn, unbending, uncompromising, unrelenting, unyielding
- Cats are by nature fairly intractable animals.
out of hand
Synonym Discussion of intractable
- unruly children
- ungovernable rage
- intractable opponents of the hazardous-waste dump
- special schools for refractory children
- acts of sabotage by a recalcitrant populace
- a willful disregard for the rights of others
- a headstrong young cavalry officer
Learn More about intractable
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up intractable? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).