Synonyms and Antonyms of subservient
- She was an equal partner in the marriage and not a subservient wife.
balky, contrary, contumacious, defiant, disobedient, froward, incompliant, insubordinate, intractable, noncompliant, obstreperous, rebel, rebellious, recalcitrant, refractory, restive, unamenable, ungovernable, unruly, untoward, wayward, willful (or wilful)
- The employees used to build things by hand but now were subservient to automated equipment that handled much of production.
Synonym Discussion of subservient
- domestic help was expected to be properly subservient
- a political boss and his entourage of servile hangers-on
- the slavish status of migrant farm workers
- waiters who are obsequious in the presence of celebrities
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up subservient? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).