Synonyms and Antonyms of general
belonging or relating to the whole
- a general increase in postage rates
- There's been a general improvement in the economy.
all-embracing, broad, broad-gauge (or broad-gauged), broadscale, comprehensive, extensive, inclusionary, overarching, pervasive, sweeping, ubiquitous, wholesale, wide, widespread
aggregate, collective, complete, full, plenary
relating to the main elements and not to specific details
- She gave the general impression of being kindhearted.
- a general course of study in American history
absolute, boundless, expansive, extensive, infinite, panoramic, sweeping, vast, wide
nonspecific, unlimited, unrestricted, unspecified
limited, restricted, specified
distinct, explicit, precise, sharp
comprehensive, elaborate, full, mapped (out), thorough
enumerated, inventoried, itemized, listed
held by or applicable to a majority of the people
- It was the general opinion that the politician was a liar.
- The general mood of the nation was one of hope and optimism.
everyday, familiar, household, usual, well-known
dominant, predominant, preponderant
pandemic, pervasive, prevalent, rife, widespread
rare, strange, unknown, unusual
distinctive, especial, idiosyncratic, peculiar, special, unique
individual, separate, singular
not limited or specialized in application or purpose
- a new kitchen tool of general usefulness