Synonyms and Antonyms of rare
- Even among the prize-winning roses, this one is a rare beauty.
- rare specialty wools, such as cashmere, prized for their fineness, lightness and exceptional warmth
classic, excellent, fabulous, first-class, first-rate, grand, great, marvelous (or marvellous), noble, outstanding, par excellence, premium, prime, sensational, splendid, stellar, sterling, superb, superior, superlative, supernal, terrific, tip-top, top, top-notch, transcendent, unsurpassed, wonderful
- The French pronunciation of the family's name is rare, except in Louisiana.
few and far between
- "Such good manners are rare these days," remarked Mrs. Denby, as the young man let her go ahead of him in line.
Synonym Discussion of rare
- choice fabric
- an exquisite gold bracelet
- a sumptuous but elegant dining room
- rare beauty
- delicate craftsmanship
- dainty sandwiches
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up rare? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).