Synonyms and Antonyms of awkward
- preteens feeling awkward at their first formal dance
agitated, bothered, chagrined, dismayed, disquieted, distressed, disturbed, fazed, flustered, jittery, jumpy, mortified, nervous, nonplussed (also nonplused), perturbed, rattled, unhinged, unsettled, upset
- The awkward handling of the seating arrangements at the wedding reception resulted in many hurt feelings.
- the awkward situation of having to listen as your host and hostess quarrel loudly in the next room
- Our surprise guests came at a very awkward time.
- That manual can opener is awkward to hold.
- an awkward person who is always tripping over herself
- an awkward catch of a fly ball
Synonym Discussion of awkward
- periods of awkward silence
- a clumsy mechanic
- a maladroit politician
- a hopelessly inept defense attorney
- felt gauche and unsophisticated at formal parties
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up awkward? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).