Synonyms and Antonyms of thrash
- The incumbent has been thrashing his opponents for so long that there's never any real contest for the Senate seat.
beat the pants off, eat alive, run circles around (or run rings around), wipe the floor with (or wipe the ground with)
- thrashed the poor horse with a riding crop
bash, baste, bat, batter, beat, belabor, belt, bludgeon, buffet, bung, drub, hammer, lace, lambaste (or lambast), lather, lick, mangle, maul, paddle, pelt, pommel, pound, pummel, rough, slate, slog, thresh, thump, tromp, whop (or whap), whup, work over
- The tree branches thrashed the sides of the house as the storm continued to rage.
assail, assault, attack, beset, box, bust, chop, clobber, clout, crack, cudgel, cuff, descend (on or upon), hit, jump (on), knock, lam, lay on, paste, pounce (on or upon), punch, raid, rush, slam, slap, smack, smash, sock, spank, storm, swat, swipe, thwack, whack, wham, whomp
beat up on
- In obvious pain, the wounded soldier thrashed about his cot.
Synonym Discussion of thrash
- swing the rope back and forth
- waving the flag
- flourished the winning lottery ticket
- brandishing a knife
- an infant thrashing his arms about
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up thrash? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).