Synonyms and Antonyms of overcome
- The baseball team finally overcame their opponents in the 13th inning.
annihilate, blow away, blow out, bomb, break, bury, clobber, cream, crush, drub, finish, flatten, overwhelm, rout, shellac, skin, slaughter, smoke [slang], snow under, thrash, trounce, upset, wallop, wax [slang], whip
get the better of, knock for a loop
- Already under stress, she was overcome by the bad news.
Synonym Discussion of overcome
- Caesar conquered Gaul
- vanquished the enemy and ended the war
- the Confederates defeated the Union forces at Manassas
- subdued the native tribes after years of fighting
- the city was reduced after a month-long siege
- overcame a host of bureaucratic roadblocks
- violently overthrew the old regime
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up overcome? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).