Synonyms and Antonyms of devastate
- Chicago was devastated by a fire in 1871.
- crops devastated by disease
beat, best, clobber, conquer, crush, defeat, drub, lick, master, overbear, overcome, overmatch, prevail (over), rout, scotch, skunk, subdue, surmount, thrash, trim, triumph (over), trounce, wallop, whip, win (against)
- We were devastated by the awful news.
Synonym Discussion of devastate
- a hurricane ravaged the coast
- an earthquake devastated the city
- years of drought had wasted the area
- barbarians sacked ancient Rome
- settlements pillaged by Vikings
- the Nazis despoiled the art museums
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up devastate? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).