Synonyms and Antonyms of form
the outward appearance of something as distinguished from its substance
- The wood-carver carved the block of wood into the form of a duck.
contour, outline, profile, silhouette
frame, framework, shell, skeleton
arrangement, design, format, layout, makeup, organization, pattern, plan, setup
a piece of paper with information written or to be written on it
- I filled out all the forms for applying to the school.
personal conduct or behavior as evaluated by an accepted standard of appropriateness for a social or professional setting
- It's bad form to throw a tantrum on the court just because you lost a tennis match.
amenities, civilities, pleasantries
bearing, demeanor, deportment, mien
courtesy, decorum, mannerliness, politeness
formalities, protocol, rules
air, attitude, carriage, poise, polish, pose, posture, presence
a state of being or fitness
- After a long season off, the football team is back in good form.
a three-dimensional representation of the human body used especially for displaying clothes
- put the dress on the form to finish pinning it together
an oft-repeated action or series of actions performed in accordance with tradition or a set of rules
- We'll use the second form in our church missals for today's Lenten service.
amenities, civility, decorum, etiquette, graces, proprieties
convention, custom, habit, manners, mores, practice (also practise), standard, tradition, way
socially acceptable behavior
- displayed good form throughout the formal dinner
civility, courteousness, courtesy, gentilesse, gentility, graciousness, mannerliness, politeness, politesse
dignity, grace, refinement
appropriateness, correctitude, correctness, decorousness, fitness, rightness, seemliness
attention, attentiveness, care, carefulness
character, goodness, high-mindedness, honesty, honor, integrity, morality, probity, rectitude, righteousness, straightness, uprightness, virtue, virtuousness
coarseness, crudeness, gracelessness
discourtesy, impoliteness, incivility, vulgarity
badness, evil, immorality, wickedness
debauchery, degeneracy, degradation, depravity, perversion
crookedness, dishonesty, underhandedness, unscrupulousness
the means or procedure for doing something
- There are established forms for voting on motions and amendments at meetings.
approach, fashion, how, manner, method, methodology, recipe, strategy, style, system, tack, tactics, technique, way
mode, modus operandi
blueprint, design, game, game plan, ground plan, intrigue, layout, line, model, plan, plot, program, route, scheme
expedient, move, shift, step
practice (also practise), process, routine
the type of body that a person has
- He has the big-boned form of a linebacker.
the way in which the elements of something (as a work of art) are arranged
- Museumgoers liked the asymmetrical form of the mobile.