Synonyms and Antonyms of begin
- She began walking to work for exercise.
get going, get to, set about
- The storm began late in the day and lasted all night.
- The religious sect was begun by a small breakaway faction.
Synonym Discussion of begin
- begin a trip
- began dancing
- the work started slowly
- commence firing
- commenced a conversation
- initiated diplomatic contacts
- the discovery of penicillin inaugurated a new era in medicine
- ushered in a period of economic decline
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up begin? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).