:to begin to occur or to exist :to come into being or to attention
- Problems arise when people try to avoid responsibility.
- A conflict arose because of a misunderstanding.
- Questions have arisen concerning the company's financial records.
- He can defend himself should the need arise. [=if it becomes necessary to do so]
:to originate from a source
- arteries that arise from the aorta
- a river that arises from two main sources
:to get up or stand up :rise ;
:to get up from sleep or after lying down
- He arose (from bed) refreshed after a good night's sleep.
:to move upward :ascend
- A mist arose from the valley.