: to cease sleeping : to wake up
- She awoke late that morning.
- The next day we awoke to the sound of drums.
- —Sarah Ferrell
: to become aroused or active again
: to become conscious or aware of something
- awoke to the possibilities
- At the same time, Italian prosecutors awoke to the international magnitude of their Sicilian underworld …
- —Selwyn Raab
: to arouse from sleep or a sleeplike state
- He was awoken by the storm.
: to make active : to stir up
- an experience that awoke old memories