Definition of conscious
- conscious of having succeeded
- was conscious that someone was watching
- conscious guilt
- a bargain-conscious shopper
- a budget-conscious businessman
- a race-conscious society
- a conscious effort to do better
Is the patient conscious yet?
He was fully conscious when we found him.
the capacity for conscious thought
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'conscious.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use: circa 1600See Words from the same year
What made you want to look up conscious? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).