: to do the first part of an action : go into the first part of a process : start
- began by introducing herself
: to come into existence : arise
- Their problems were just beginning.
: to have a starting point
- Her career began in Chicago.
- Prices begin at $110 per night.
: to do or succeed in the least degree
- I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am.
: to set about the activity of : start
- The lecture begins at 10:00.
- have all ready begun construction
: to bring into being : found
- credited with beginning the movement
- In 1819, he married the daughter of a … chief and began a dynasty that would last for nearly 200 years.
- —Robert F. Oaks
to begin with
: as the first thing to be considered