:to do the first part of an action :go into the first part of a process :start
- began by introducing herself
:to come into existence :arise
- Their problems were just beginning.
:to have a starting point
- Her career began in Chicago.
- Prices begin at $110 per night.
:to do or succeed in the least degree
- I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am.
:to set about the activity of :start
- The lecture begins at 10:00.
- have all ready begun construction
:to bring into being :found
- credited with beginning the movement
- In 1819, he married the daughter of a … chief and began a dynasty that would last for nearly 200 years.
- —Robert F. Oaks
to begin with
:as the first thing to be considered