Synonyms and Antonyms of subdue
- Kate subdued her fear of the dark by joining a club for spelunkers.
annihilate, blow away, blow out, bomb, break, bury, clobber, cream, crush, drub, finish, flatten, overwhelm, rout, shellac, skin, slaughter, smoke [slang], snow under, thrash, trounce, upset, wallop, wax [slang], whip
get the better of, knock for a loop
- subdued the rebels and sent their leaders to the gallows
- labored through the night to subdue the river's rising waters by building a wall of sandbags around their property
Synonym Discussion of subdue
- Caesar conquered Gaul
- vanquished the enemy and ended the war
- the Confederates defeated the Union forces at Manassas
- subdued the native tribes after years of fighting
- the city was reduced after a month-long siege
- overcame a host of bureaucratic roadblocks
- violently overthrew the old regime
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up subdue? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).