Synonyms and Antonyms of encourage
- a pep talk that encouraged the team to get out there and do their best
- asserted that the government should be encouraging small businesses
- The movie's special effects encourage audiences to sit on the edge of their seats.
build a fire under
- My parents encouraged me to try out again for the team.
Synonym Discussion of encourage
- the teacher's praise encouraged the students to greater efforts
- patriots inspirited the people to resist
- a hospital patient heartened by good news
- emboldened by her first success, she tried an even more difficult climb
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up encourage? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).