Synonyms and Antonyms of motive
- The principal motive of the piece was introduced in the flute section.
body, bulk, burden, centerpiece, core, crux, essence, fundamental, generality, gist, grist, heart, kernel, keynote, main, marrow, mass, net, nub, nubbin, nucleus, pith, pivot, purport, quick, staple, substance, sum
- The detective felt that the first suspect didn't have any motive for committing the crime.
Synonym Discussion of motive
- a motive for the crime
- buying on impulse
- a bonus was offered as an incentive
- offered a watch as an inducement to subscribe
- fear was a spur to action
- thought insecurity a goad to worker efficiency
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up motive? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).