Synonyms and Antonyms of affair
a brief romantic relationship
- an affair between two singles spending the summer at the same beach resort
a social gathering
- The annual country club dance is a really fancy affair.
bash, binge, blast, blowout, do, event, fete (or fête), function, get-together, party, powwow, reception, shindig
celebration, gala, occasion
bake, clambake, cocktail party, hen party, house party, housewarming, icebreaker, meet and greet, mixer, salon, shower, social, soiree (or soirée), supper, symposium, tea, tea party
something produced by physical or intellectual effort
- The lead float in the parade was a pretty impressive affair, a giant eagle's head with equally huge wings.
article, commodity, entry, object
goods, line, merchandise, wares
aftereffect, aftermath, conclusion, consequence, corollary, development, effect, issue, outcome, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, upshot
by-product, derivative, offshoot, offspring, outgrowth, residual, side effect (also side reaction), spin-off
something that happens
- The whole affair from start to finish took a total of 15 minutes.
coincidence, fluke, freak
landmark, milepost, milestone, page, phenomenon, turning point
adventure, experience, time
accident, crisis, emergency, juncture
achievement, deed, exploit, feat
something to be dealt with
- It's none of your affair whom I'm going out with tonight.
consideration, issue, problem
crisis, crossroad(s), crunch, emergency, exigency, flash point, head, juncture, strait, zero hour
concern, trouble, worry
care, lookout, responsibility
corner, fix, hole, jam, pickle, pinch, predicament, scrape, spot