Synonyms and Antonyms of authority
a person with a high level of knowledge or skill in a field
- the leading authority on neural anatomy
ace, adept, artist, cognoscente, connoisseur, crackerjack (also crackajack), expert, fiend, geek, guru, hand, hotshot, maestro, master, maven (also mavin), past master, scholar, shark, virtuoso, whiz, wizard
consultant, hired gun, specialist
addict, aficionado (also afficionado), buff, devotee, enthusiast, fan
jack-of-all-trades, Renaissance man
lawful control over the affairs of a political unit (as a nation)
- The sheriff had authority over the whole county.
dominion, power, sovereignty (also sovranty), supremacy, sway
direction, management, regulation, superintendence, supervision
autocracy, dictatorship, hegemony, mastery, oppression, subjugation, tyranny
the power to direct the thinking or behavior of others usually indirectly
- speaks with a persuasive authority on matters of public health
command, dominance, dominion, mastery, predominance, reign, scepter, sovereignty (also sovranty), supremacy
consequence, eminence, importance, moment
impact, impress, impression, imprint, mark
the right or means to command or control others
- By the authority vested in me, I now pronounce you married.
arm, clutch, command, control, death grip, dominion, grip, hold, mastery, power, reign, rein(s), sway
clout, influence, leverage, pull, voice, weight
dominance, imperium, predominance, sovereignty (also sovranty), supremacy
prerogative, privilege, right
something (as a belief) that serves as the basis for another thing
- I had good authority to believe that the information was correct.
something mentioned in a text as providing related and especially supporting information
- She cited several passages in the report as authority for her conclusions.
the capacity to persuade
- a strict grammarian whose pronouncements carried plenty of authority with my third-grade English teacher
impact, might, power, punch, strength, weight
believability, credibility, soundness, validity