: power to influence or command thought, opinion, or behavior
- the president's authority
: freedom granted by one in authority : right
- Who gave you the authority to do as you wish?
: persons in command;
- the local authorities of each state
: a governmental agency or corporation to administer a revenue-producing public enterprise
- the city's housing authority
: grounds, warrant
- had excellent authority for believing the claim
: convincing force
- lent authority to the performance
4 a (1)
: a citation (as from a book or file) used in defense or support
: the source from which the citation is drawn
- He quoted extensively from the Bible, his sole authority.
: a conclusive statement or set of statements (such as an official decision of a court)
: a decision taken as a precedent
: an individual cited or appealed to as an expert
- The prosecutor called the psychiatrist as an authority.