Synonyms and Antonyms of twist
to change so much as to create a wrong impression or alter the meaning of
- My enemies will twist my words, but you'll only hear the truth out of me.
bend, color, cook, distort, falsify, fudge, garble, misinterpret, misrelate, misrepresent, misstate, pervert, slant, warp
misdescribe, misspeak, mistranslate
belie, camouflage, disguise, dissemble, gloss (over), mask, veil, whitewash
complicate, confound, confuse, mistake, mix (up)
equivocate, fib, lie, palter, prevaricate
to follow a circular or spiral course
- The path gently twisted down the hill.
arc, arch, bend, crook, curve, hook, sweep, swerve, turn, veer, wheel
circle, encircle, loop
enlace, interlace, intertwine, lace
meander, weave, zigzag
to move (something) in a curved or circular path on or as if on an axis
- I twisted my wrist around to stretch it.
pivot, revolve, roll, rotate, spin, swing, swirl, swivel, turn, twirl, wheel, whirl
to move by or as if by a forceful rotation
- kept twisting the cap until it came free
draw, dredge (up), extract, jerk, lug, pluck, pull, tug, tweak, yank
jimmy, lever, pry
budge, dislocate, displace, disturb, remove
shift, transfer, transpose
to make jerky or restless movements
- The dental patient twisted nervously in the chair.
fiddle, fidget, jerk, jig, jiggle, squirm, thrash, thresh, toss, twitch, wiggle, wriggle, writhe
to cause to twine about one another
- She has the habit of idly twisting the strands of her hair while daydreaming.
enlace, entwine, interlace, intertwine, intertwist, interweave, inweave, lace, ply, weave, wreathe, writhe