Synonyms and Antonyms of equivocate
- The candidate equivocated as long as he could on controversial issues.
beat around the bush (or about), hem and haw, straddle the fence
Synonym Discussion of equivocate
- lied about where he had been
- during the hearings the witness did his best to prevaricate
- equivocated endlessly in an attempt to mislead her inquisitors
- a swindler paltering with his investors
- fibbed about the price of the new suit
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up equivocate? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).