Synonyms and Antonyms of transfer
to give over the legal possession or ownership of
- Claire's grandfather agreed to transfer certain stocks to her when she turned 18.
bequeath, hand down, leave, pass (down), will
bestow, commend, commit, confer, contribute, deliver, donate, grant, hand over, move, pass, present, release, relinquish, surrender, transmit, turn in, turn over, vest, yield
consign, entrust (also intrust), trust
lease, lend, loan, rent
to cause (something) to pass from one to another
- They used Morse Code to transfer the message from one ship to another.
to cause to go or be taken from one place to another
- I will have to transfer you from our San Francisco office to our New York headquarters.
convey, deliver, hand over, pass, render
advance, drop, launch
bestow, contribute, donate, give, present
to change the place or position of
- transferred the car keys from my pocket to my purse
bear, carry, cart, convey, drive, haul, lug, tote, transmit, transplant, transport
replace, supersede, supplant
alter, make over, modify, redo, refashion, remake, remodel, revamp, revise, rework, vary
anchor, fix, freeze, moor, secure, set, stabilize
embed (also imbed), entrench (also intrench), implant, ingrain (also engrain), lodge, root
to put (something) into the possession or safekeeping of another
- Before she left the country, she transferred all her record books and important papers to her mother.
commend, commit, confide, consign, delegate, deliver, entrust (also intrust), give, give over, hand, hand over, leave, pass, recommend, repose, transmit, trust, turn over, vest
assign, deal (out), dispense, disperse, distribute, divide
hand in, release, relinquish, submit, surrender, turn in, yield
bequeath, hand down, hand on, will
advance, lend, loan
to shift possession of (something) from one person to another
- transferred the ball to the running back
finger, handle, paw
cede, deliver, give, give up, release, relinquish, render, surrender, turn over, yield