: to transfer (property) to another especially in trust or for the benefit of creditors
: to appoint to a post or duty
- assigned them to light duty
: to appoint as a duty or task
- assigns 20 pages for homework
: to fix or specify in correspondence or relationship : select, designate
- assign counsel to the defendant
- assign a value to the variable
- Though assigned male at birth, she appears most comfortable and in her element wearing a skirt and high-heeled sandals when riding a big-wheel or playing with a tea set.
- —Will Dean
: to ascribe as a motive, reason, or cause especially after deliberation
: to consider to belong to a specified period of time
- Archaeologists assign the weapon to the eleventh century.
\ˌa-sə-ˈnȯr, ˌa-ˌsī-, ə-ˌsī-\ noun