Definition of assign
- assigned them to light duty
- assigned me two clerks
- assigns 20 pages for homework
- assign counsel to the defendant
- assign a value to the variable
- Archaeologists assign the weapon to the eleventh century.
The teacher assigned us 50 math problems for homework!
She was assigned to the embassy in India.
The new teacher was assigned to the science laboratory.
The plane landed at its assigned gate.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'assign.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use: 13th centurySee Words from the same year
What made you want to look up assign? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).