Synonyms and Antonyms of give
- Math tutors generously give their time to help students after school.
- I gave my camera to my father to hold while I went swimming.
- The author will give a reading from her latest work at 7:00 p.m.
come out with
- They loaded the shopping cart with so much food it gave under all the weight.
- I wouldn't give a nickel for such a run-down car.
- She gave her opinion on the matter very firmly and unmistakably.
give air to, put forth
- He totally gave himself to his studies in the hopes of winning a scholarship for next year.
get cracking, get one's act together, get with it, turn one's hand (or turn a hand)
- I gave him my e-mail address.
- She gave the committee her grant proposal.
run by (or run past)
- She gave her cold to me, and now I'm so sick that I can barely get out of bed.
Synonym Discussion of give
- give alms
- gave her a ride on a pony
- give my love to your mother
- present an award
- donate a piano to the orphanage
- bestow unwanted advice
- confer an honorary degree
- the trees afford shade
- a development that affords us some hope
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up give? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).