Synonyms and Antonyms of batter
- Firefighters battered the door until it came down.
assail, assault, attack, beset, box, bust, chop, clobber, clout, crack, cudgel, cuff, descend (on or upon), hit, jump (on), knock, lam, lay on, paste, pounce (on or upon), punch, raid, rush, slam, slap, smack, smash, sock, spank, storm, swat, swipe, thwack, whack, wham, whomp
beat up on
Synonym Discussion of batter
- maimed by a shark
- crippled for life in an accident
- a tree mutilated by inept pruning
- an old ship battered by fierce storms
- a soldier's leg mangled by shrapnel
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up batter? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).