Synonyms and Antonyms of settle
to cause to come to rest at the bottom (as of a liquid)
- The light rain will settle the dust in the air.
- Allowing a few moments of rest will settle the grounds in the coffee.
to supply with inhabitants
- The region was originally settled by farmers.
to give an opinion about (something at issue or in dispute)
- settled the lawsuit in favor of the defendant
to come to an agreement or decision concerning the details of
- They settled their wedding plans without any major disagreements.
contract, pledge, promise
blueprint, calculate, chart, concert, design, draft, frame, hammer out, intrigue, lay out, maneuver, map (out), plan, program (also programme), schematize, scheme, shape, square away, work out
choose, conclude, determine, figure, opt, resolve
affirm, approve, authorize, clear, confirm, OK (or okay), sanction, warrant
close, complete, end, finalize, finish, round (off or out), wind up, wrap up
bargain, deal, dicker, haggle, horse-trade, negotiate
abort, call, call off, drop, recall, repeal, rescind, revoke
differ (over), disagree (with)
counter, debate, object, oppose, protest, resist
to come to rest after descending from the air
- birds settling on the branches of the maple tree
to establish or place comfortably or snugly
- settled the sleeping baby into her crib
deploy, emplace, fix, locate, park, plant, position, set, situate, station
anchor, bivouac, camp, camp (out)
burrow, curl up, dig in
to free from distress or disturbance
- A hot meal settled the children down.
appease, conciliate, hush, mollify, pacify, placate
allay, alleviate, assuage, ease, lay, mitigate, quell, relax, relieve, solace
narcotize, sedate, stupefy
to gain emotional or mental control of
- Dave settled himself only with visible effort after the outburst.
to give what is owed for
ante (up), balance, clear, discharge, foot, liquidate, meet, pay, pay off, pay up, pony up, quit, recompense, spring (for), stand
to make final, definite, or beyond dispute
- This information should settle the question of who is right.
demonstrate, establish, nail (down), prove, show
affirm, assure, ensure, insure, secure
define, specify, state, stipulate
clarify, clear (up), illuminate
conclude, end, finish
to stop the noise or speech of
- She settled the class with a firm "Quiet!"