Definition of do time
: to be in a prison for a period of time : to serve all or part of a prison sentence He has been doing time in a federal penitentiary. —sometimes used figuratively as do one's time I've done my time at that terrible job, and now it's time to move on.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game