Definition of do time
: to be in a prison for a period of time : to serve all or part of a prison sentence He has been doing time in a federal penitentiary. —sometimes used figuratively as do one's time I've done my time at that terrible job, and now it's time to move on.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Moon-Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?